Update 6/20/12: Read our full review of Mountain Dew Dark Berry
Update 5/14/12: Following up on our initial story from March, Mountain Dew Dark Berry was officially announced by PepsiCo today, confirming the online speculation that associated it with the summer Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises. This will continue a summer of superhero beverage tie-ins, started with Dr Pepper and The Avengers.
Here's a look at the 20 oz bottle design:
As we also noted in our original story, a special 16 oz can design is also being released, with "thermochromic ink to feature a bat symbol that transforms to the distinctive green color of DEW when chilled." These cans will be used with regular Mountain Dew only.
Mtn Dew Dark Berry will only be available in a full-calorie version. Per PepsiCo, there will be no diet version of this flavor.
Additionally, I've been told that Pepsi Canada will be running a promotional tie-in to The Dark Knight Rises, but unfortunately that won't include the release of Dark Berry. It remains U.S.-exclusive.
For those interested, here's the full press release:
Mountain Dew Partners With "The Dark Knight Rises"
From Exclusive Content to a Limited Edition Can and Flavor, DEW Invites Avid Fans to "Go Inside Gotham City and Rule the Streets with DEW"
PURCHASE, N.Y., May 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ – Today, Mountain Dew® (DEW) confirmed its partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures' and Legendary Pictures' highly anticipated summer blockbuster "The Dark Knight Rises" with activations that will quench the thirst of both DEW and Dark Knight fans. Luring fans deep into Gotham City through an exclusive digital experience, DEW will unveil exclusive content and storylines from "The Dark Knight Rises" to eager fans before the film's opening day, July 20. And DEW itself will take a dark spin – with a Dark Knight graphic takeover of base packaging and temperature-sensitive cans that change when chilled, to Mtn Dew Dark Berry, a new limited-edition mixed berry flavor inspired by the Caped Crusader.
"Mountain Dew is all about fueling passion and that is what this partnership is based on," said Brett O'Brien, Vice President of Marketing for Mountain Dew. "You'd be hard-pressed to find more passionate fans than those of DEW and The Dark Knight franchise. Our goal is to offer those fans unique experiences – from package and product innovation to exclusive content and access that only DEW and Batman together could provide."
Mountain Dew's "The Dark Knight Rises" 360-degree campaign will include:
- A new limited-time-only flavor, Mtn Dew Dark Berry, inspired by "The Dark Knight Rises," available nationwide for 8 weeks beginning in mid June.
- Select 16-oz cans of DEW will receive a face-lift of the thermochromic variety. The special cans will use thermochromic ink to feature a bat symbol that transforms to the distinctive green color of DEW when chilled. The limited-time 16 oz. cans will hit shelves in mid June.
- The unveil of DEWGothamCity.com, an online destination designed to give fans unprecedented access into the world of "The Dark Knight Rises," including exclusive sneak peeks of movie content and storylines. The experience will launch June 18.
- Fans that participate in the DEW Gotham City experience and enter product codes from 20 oz., and 2-liter bottles, 12-pack and 24-pack and Fountain Cups will earn points to redeem for DEW or "The Dark Knight Rises" gear or for sweepstakes entries for a chance to win exclusive prizes.
- Diet Mountain Dew driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr., will give (and get) a first taste of the Dark Knight. Members of the DEW Crew, an extension of the #88 team fueled by Diet Mountain Dew, will be asked to vote to select which of four Dark Knight paint schemes will appear on Dale's #88 Chevrolet this season. Voting begins at www.dewcrew.com on May 12.
- In-store point-of-purchase displays in retailers nationwide.
- Robust cable, primetime TV, radio and digital advertising, launching June 18, will drive mass campaign awareness.
Original Story 3/30/12: In recent weeks there has been an abundance of online speculation regarding an upcoming flavor of Mountain Dew, including photos that may or may not be associated with said flavor.
After talking with contacts we have within the Pepsi system, I can confirm some facts regarding this speculation.
First of all, there is a new Dew slated to be a Limited Time Offering (LTO) this summer. It will debut in June, with a plan to be available 12 weeks (of course, your local stock may vary). The release of this drink is in conjunction with a marketing partner.
As speculated, the drink will be named Mtn Dew Dark Berry, though it does not appear that a trademark has been filed for the phrase at this time.
This will be a mixed berry flavor, and as such, is a new Dew flavor. It's not a rebranded drink that had previously been offered for a limited time (i.e. Ultra Violet)
Dark Berry will be available in the standard sizes typically associated with a LTO run: 20 oz plastic bottles, 12 oz cans sold in 12-packs, and 2 liter plastic bottles. Additionally, a special 16 oz can will also be available.
We aim to remain accurate, thus we'll post further information only after it can be confirmed and corroborated by multiple sources.
But hey, it's a new Dew!
(Also, keep an eye out for Sierra Mist Strawberry Kiwi…)